GPE in action
While a modern hangar is being constructed, children attend the catch-up classes in the old classroom.
Credit: UNICEF CAR/2015/KIM
Goal 1 of the GPE 2020 Strategic Plan aims to provide: “Improved and more equitable student learning outcomes through quality teaching and learning.”
To strengthen the teaching profession and improve learning outcomes, GPE:
Strengthens sector planning
Through education sector plan development grants (ESPDGs), GPE provides governments with technical and financial support to conduct a sector analysis and develop the plan through a participatory and inclusive approach. Together with partners, GPE developed the Methodological Guidelines on Education Sector Analysis to strengthen government knowledge for evidence-based planning and to encourage ownership and use of results.
GPE has placed learning at the center of its strategic plan for 2016 – 2020 and is implementing programs and strategies to support improved teaching and learning. GPE is monitoring the partnership’s progress via 4 indicators in its results framework that measure the improvement of learning outcomes, the quality of learning assessment systems, and the availability and distribution of trained teachers.
Incentivizes gains in learning
Through a results-based funding model, GPE encourages partner countries to review their policies and strategies and agree on a results framework for learning outcomes. To receive the first 70% of GPE grants, a partner country must either have a system in place to monitor learning outcomes or a costed plan to develop one. Disbursement of the remaining 30% is linked to demonstrated progress toward sector results, including gains in learning.
Measures learning outcomes
- Through the GRA program, GPE has financed initiatives to catalog learning assessment data and build national capacity to strengthen learning assessment systems.
- The Assessment for Learning initiative(A4L) builds capacity to measure and improve learning. The first phase of the initiative provides technical and financial assistance to support sector planning and analysis, capacity building and knowledge exchange at the regional level, and promote holistic measurements of learning.
- The GPE funding model, implementation grants, and the A4L initiative work together across the policy process to strengthen learning assessment systems.
- GPE tracks progress on the ratio of students to trained teachers in partner countries as well as the equitable distribution of teachers across the education system.
- GPE supports teacher training and development through its grants.
- GPE promotes the participation of teacher organizations in all stages of the policy process, from the sector plan development to its implementation, through their involvement in the local education group.
Promotes improved instruction
Through its implementation grants, GPE supports its county partners to increase the supply and use of quality learning materials, increase instructional time and promote learning in the early grades.